In the Matter of the Application of Kansas City Power )
& Light Company for Authority to Extend the Transfer ) File No. EO-2012-0135
of Functional Control of Certain Transmission Assets )
to the Southwest Power Pool )
In the Matter of the Application of KCP&L Greater )
Missouri Operations Company for Authority to )
Extend the Transfer of Functional Control of Certain ) File No. EO-2012-0136
Transmission Assets to the Southwest Power )
Power Pool, Inc. )
ORDER GRANTING MOTION TO CONSOLIDATE
AND SETTING JOINTLY PROPOSED PROCEDURAL SCHEDULE
Issue Date: January 17, 2013 Effective Date: January 17, 2013
On September 30, 2011 both Kansas City Power & Light Company and KCP&L Greater Missouri Operation Company submitted interim reports regarding their respective participation in the Southwest Power Pool and requested that the Commission approve continued participation beyond October 1, 2013. On November 1, 2011, the Commission opened the above-captioned cases to consider the companies’ requests.
The Commission issued notice of the cases and set deadlines for requests to intervene. After applications were filed, the Commission granted intervention in both cases to the Southwest Power Pool, Inc., Dogwood Energy, LLC, and the Empire District Electric Company. The parties to both cases have now filed a proposed procedural schedule and a motion to consolidate the cases.
As the parties point out, Commission rule 4 CSR 240-2.110 (3) provides that “[w]hen pending actions involve related questions of law or fact, the commission may order a joint hearing of any or all the matters at issue, and may make other orders concerning cases before it to avoid unnecessary costs or delay.”
The Commission finds that these cases have common questions of law or fact. Further, all of the parties are the same and the cases are on the same time line. The Commission will therefore grant the requested relief and set the following procedural schedule:
Rebuttal Testimony to KCP&L and GMO 3/4/13
Data Requests change to 10 days to respond,
5 days to object and advise of more time 3/4/13
Surrebuttal and Cross-Surr. to Rebuttal 4/25/13
Data Request change to 5 days to respond,
3 days to object and advise of more time 4/25/13
Settlement Conference Call 5/13/13
Last Day to Serve Discovery 5/16/13
List of Issues, Order of Issues/Witnesses 5/21/13
Joint Stipulation of Facts 5/23/13
Position Statements 5/28/13
Evidentiary Hearing 6/5-7/13
Transcript Expedited 6/12/13
Post-Hearing Briefs 7/10/13
Reply Briefs 7/31/13
Proposed Findings of Fact and 8/02/13
Conclusions of Law
Also, in their pleading, the parties set out a number of conditions regarding data requests and the exchange of information. The Commission will order the parties comply to with those conditions.
THE COMMISSION ORDERS THAT:
1. The parties’ motion to consolidate the above-captioned cases is granted.
2. The proposed procedural schedule is set and the parties shall abide by the dates set out therein.
3. The parties shall comply with the conditions concerning data requests and the exchange of information as set out in their joint pleading.
4. An evidentiary hearing is scheduled for June 5 -7, 2013, beginning each day at 8:30 a.m. in Room 310 of the Governor Office Building, 200 Madison Street, Jefferson City, Missouri. The hearing will be held in a building that meets accessibility standards required by the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you need additional accommodations to participate in this public hearing, please call the Public Service Commission’s Hotline at 1‑800-392-4211 (voice) or Relay Missouri at 711 prior to the hearing.
5. This order shall become effective upon issuance.
BY THE COMMISSION
( S E A L )
Kennard L. Jones, Senior Regulatory
Law Judge, by delegation of authority
pursuant to Section 386.240, RSMo 2000.
on this 17th day of January, 2013.
 Kansas City Power & Light Company filed its report in Case No. EO-2006-0142. KCP&L Greater Missouri Operations Company filed its report in Case No. EO-2009-0179.